Praze surgery is a rural practice established by Dr Edward T Lay in 1953 firstly at his parent's home Lisvean, Fore Street, Praze and then at his own home at No 78 Fore Street, Praze. After moving to Moorfield, near the school, a special annexe of four small rooms was built to house the surgery. Dr Lay was joined, part-time, by Dr Lois F Gendall. Dr Christopher McCabe joined the practice in 1978.
At that time, the practice offered surgeries at Connor Downs in the chapel, at Leedstown in the Mens' Institute, and at Dr Gendall's home in Wall.
When Dr Lay retired in 1984, the practice moved to a bungalow on School Road. Dr McCabe was joined by Dr Eric Blay, and on a part-time basis by Dr L Gifford. Dr Sandra Cotton joined the practice in 1985, when Dr Gendall retired.
Dr Hugh Fairlie became a partner in 1992, on the retirement of Dr Blay. Dr McCabe retired in 2003, and Dr Cotton also left the practice at this time. Dr Joanne Ellery and Dr Richard Bensa joined Dr Fairlie as partners in April 2004.
We moved to new premises within the Primary Care Trust owned building over the weekend of 18th September 2010. The first clinics at the new site were held on Monday, 20th September. The new surgery is still on School Road but is situated on the opposite side of the road to the 'old' surgery. The new surgery has free on-site parking for all patients, close to the building, with disabled access if required.
January 2012 brought more changes with the arrival of Dr Rob Jones, following the departure of Dr Bensa in December 2011. Dr Jones returned to the Locum GP circuit at the end of August 2012.
Dr Andrew Sharp joined the Practice on November 14th 2012.
Dr Spencer Quick joined the Practice on march 10th 2014.
New patients living within the practice catchment area are always welcome. Please ask at reception for further details.